Tuesday, August 15, 2006

WHAT'S LEFT BEHIND

As someone of you may have known, Mr. Shickle was a lifelong pack rat and collector of minutiae. I came upon drawers of old photos, postcards, clipped stamps and color slides while going through his house during the current clean-up phase and I felt like some of the things that Mr. Shickle kept over the years - so many memories, so many snapshots (literally and figuratively) from his life should be preserved even if the objects themselves were simply left to the eventual dustbin. This is just a small, small sampling of some of the things that Mr. Shickle collected and kept with him throughout his life.
CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE READING...








February 9, 1957


January 10, 1954 (that's Mr. Shickle on the far left)


June, 1957


May 10, 1954. 701 S. Oak, bloomington, Ill.


June, 1957


January 1, 1955. Rose Parade.


(no date). Santa Fe Station, Pasadena (again, that's Mr. Shickle)


Jan 26, 1957. Castle of Fantasyland, Disneyland.


New Years 1955. at midnight. 116 Violet, Monrovia.


Jan 18, 1958. Celebrating Mom's Birthday.


Mar., 1957

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Oliver and Philip for continuing the wonderful memory of my Uncle Paul. IT has been wonderful reading all the comments that everyone has left. I come here many times to visit But was overwhelmed with appreciation for keeping his memory alive with all these wonderful pictures that were important to him and so important to me. My Uncle Paul left me lots of love and a Great Heritage of memories that will never beforgotten.
I do so appreciate your faithfulness to my Uncle .
Jennifer Breeden

7:56 PM, August 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

During high school I often wished for an inspirational teacher the likes of which Shickle reportedly was. Nice to know there are people like that out there.

6:22 PM, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oliver,

Hopefully you will see that Uncle Paul's pictures are returned to the family---we spent all our lives with him--writing, phone calls, learning from him as did his students---we enjoy sharing with his friends and students, but have had no chance to actually look for ourselves what was given to us by our Grandfather, Grandmother, Our Aunt Leora, or our Uncle Paul. All those people were beloved of all the six grandchildren left behind when Paul died. If you would like to email me Oliver, please do so at sshickle@yahoo.com Thanks!!

5:35 PM, February 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Shickle has been a very inspiring teacher throughout and after high school. Even now, I can still hear his words, calling us his "little angels". I remember in his latin class, I would dose off during his reading and translation of latin texts (for example, "The Iliad"). Everyone would take turns translating one line after the other. To me, latin has always been a challenge and uninteresting subject. Mr. Shickle is a big part of the reason why I kept taking Latin for 3 years in High school. I really didn't want to let him down and disappoint him. Thank you for believing in us, Mr. Shickle. Your "little angels" will work hard in the future, wherever they may be, so that you are not disappointed. "veni vidi vici"

8:00 AM, May 19, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:28 AM, August 21, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:22 AM, January 12, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He was a fantastic teacher. Still remember my Spanish Verb conjugations very well from when he was my teacher and 42 years ago. I liked his teaching a lot.

11:41 AM, April 30, 2023  

Post a Comment

<< Home